July 9, 2012

The Backstroke….wraps up




I knew that I had to figure out this “water” situation.  How best to mimic it’s appearance….over the shoulder, in the pool, with the splashes. So, I did only as much as I dared before I cried for “Help”.





My Art teacher showed me a few techniques to mimic the water.  Here’s my playful piece.  Lots of different stuff going on here.  Not much detail, broke it down the way he suggested I see it.  I broke it down in 4 sections.  Bottom….2 mid levels, and top foamy portion.





Started out very hesitantly…





The water was still missing something.  I liked working with the colored pencils over graphite.  Not as cotton-bally since the color adds more dimension.





Gave up duplicating the photo a long time ago [for this water].  Once I started to apply water droplets….it helped.  I had to show haphazard water movement in some way and my shading in [puzzle piece technique] wasn’t working.  Grounded the image above the lane-lines with watercolor pencils.  I tried to match the lower portion (done with colored pencils only).


Such a sweet face….on a very sweet young lady!

5 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

This turned out soooo good! Don't you worry about that water....you'll get it. Rome was not built in a day!Hugs! deb

JP said...

I love this. I think it is wonderful you have been able to reach out to your art teacher and learn these special techniques. You must catch on very easily!

Eden said...

Haha! Thanks for your kind comments!

Anonymous said...

You do fabulous work with colored pencils! I enjoy seeing your blog every day.
Keep up the GREAT work & thanks for sharing.
Grandma Nancy Sapp

Eden said...

Thank you Nancy!! You are a great Encourager :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden