January 12, 2011

Say Buh-Bye to this Sketchbook

FacingForwardMosaic1

After five months of working on my Sketchbook for the 2011 Sketchbook Project I have grown a  bit attached to it.  After all, it was the first sketchbook I’ve ever done with a theme (Facing Forward).  But it has a home of it’s own now, and it won’t be with me….it’s like a child that you’ve watched grow up and you’ve guided them their whole life but then the time comes when they must get on with their own life and spread their wings.  So, I’m sending out Barcode #_23652_ into the world to see if she can fly.   I know I’ll miss some of the pages, but right now I’m a tad bit bored with the whole thing (oops, did I really say that outloud?).  I’ve uploaded, enhanced, blogged, drawn, glued, and enjoyed each one of these drawings, but there is nothing more that I can do to them or for them.   I took what I needed to learn from each drawing and it’s time to move on. Don’t know where….just facing forward myself!!!  LOL!!
  1. Dancer
  2. Teen Lingo
  3. Flip Flop
  4. Striped Rug
  5. Incognito
  6. Bench Monday
  7. Thanksgiving 
  8. Troll for Luck
  9. Doodled Face
  10. Umbrella Bird
  11. Tutu
  12. Mural Drawing
  13. Welcome Page
  14. Car Pool
  15. Trick or Treat
  16. Looking down
FacingForward3

As you can see my Sketchbook added some girth to her middle since the summer.  She went from a .25 inches to a whopping 1.5 inches…..She contains 23 drawings which I’ve blogged about upon completion.  Thank you all so much for your support and kind comments throughout this whole Sketchbook project.  It really helped to keep me on track.  I can see why so many people get overwhelmed with this sort of thing.  Since I glued some pages together this made the book a little more manageable, not having to fill in every...single...page.

image

I didn’t spend a whole lot of time on the cover of the book as you can see, but I thought it needed something.  I sanded it down, because I heard that would help the white ink adhere better.  Wrote out the words above and painted them in.   Have you ever written a word a million times, never misspelled it once, never gave the spelling a second thought?  Me too….I got all the way thru and noticed that my doodle was lacking it’s “L”….C’mon really!!   So, I squeezed a little “L” in as best as I could.  Otherwise it would’ve read “Facing Forward in doodes and drawings”…..what exactly is a doode???? anyone?  Anyone?

The Sketchbooks tours 9 cities: Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, Atlanta, Winter Park (FL), Chicago, Washington DC, Brooklyn (NY) and Portland (ME)…..hmmmm….may just have to get to Chicago in July and check this project out for myself.  I'd love to see what everyone else has done.  An astonishing 28835 artists are participating this year, now that's a lot of sketchbooks!

8 comments:

melydia said...

Great job! I signed up for the Sketchbook Project, but alas, the sketchbook stills sits, completely untouched, in my study. Oh well.

Liberty said...

Congratulations Eden!
to me this is such a huge accomplishment and I am really blown away that you got it done... and on time! (I am The Procrastination Princess)
I totally relate to the doode occurrence.
I don't know how that happens in spite of best intentions but it does!
Good save with that cute peeking L :)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

That is so impressive, Eden. I've followed your creative process through most of last year. The result is magnificent.

As an ex-ballet dancer/teacher, I'm especially fond of #11. It is so - what? - pithy and real.

What happens to the sketchbook after the tour? Where can we find the tour schedule?

If I am anywhere near one of the venues when it's on, I would love to see your sketchbook "up close and personal".

You did a fantastic job!!

Eden said...

Thanks for your encouraging comments!!

@Eileen- if you follow the link for sketchbook project then go to the details it'll show you the dates......But here they are anyway:
Brooklyn 2/19-2/17, Austin, 3/12, Portland 3/30-4/2, Atlanta 4/8-9, DC 4/11-4/30, Seattle 6/10-12, San Francisco 6/18, Chicago 7/14-17, Winter Park 7/29-31.

I'm definitely looking up bloggie-buds when I go :D :D

Anonymous said...

I love love love everything about this post!
Your drawing montage..the collies...your writing... And humor...'did I just say that out loud?'...you are funny!

Great job..and I do know exactly what you mean...giving away artwork is like watching a part of you leave! A personal part!
But you have accomplished so much...you made that journal gain chunk and bulky weight like there's no tomorrow! Lol it's so yummy to look at!

Ciao Bella!
Creative Carmelina

stART said...

Wonderful! Oh, and doode (aka Dude) is a cute guy or male friend or greeting, as in "Hey, Duuuuuuuuuude!"...*G*

Eden said...

Thanks Carmelina, I know I'll miss this little sketchbook.

And stART.....you crack me up!!! Thanks for the giggle :D

The Islander said...

What a great sketchbook...love your colours. A true inspiration. Thanks for joy of it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
By day...I work in the Healthcare field, where every .. i.. has to be dotted and every ..t.. has to be crossed. This blog is the place where I can let myself go and have some fun. I am on a journey. A journey I started a long time ago, but it has been a bit sidetracked with Navy Wife relocations and raising kids. I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I have got some time for me. No, I will not be one of those moms walking around the house with Empty Nest Syndrome, I have got way too much to do, to learn, to create. Sure, once the kids are gone I will miss them....but hey, there is always the phone, the email, the texting and the Plane tickets! I love my life and my family and It is fun moving into this new stage. I am into Digital Scrapbooking, photography, journaling, Art Journaling and Drawing. I am a do-it-yourselfer and I am trying to teach myself to draw. I am finding that it takes a lot of patience, lots of practice and a good eraser! And if you're really curious there's a 3 part Interview by Eileen: HERE All the best, Eden